Wednesday, August 1, 2012

30 Before 30 - Month 2

Another month gone of my 30 Before 30 challenge. This month was a bit quieter than last. I've been doing a lot of planning and thinking about some of the items, but not a whole lot of action...I still have time. :-)

July started with a family trip to Midtown Global Market. To be honest, I really had no idea what to expect...I didn't really even know what it was! I just had heard people talk about it, and have wanted to check it out for a long time - I knew I needed it on the list!


We had a really good time at the market. It turns out that Midtown Global Market is a large enclosed space that has many smaller markets/restaurants/stores inside. The "global" in the tittle is very accurate - countries all over the globe are represented! It was awesome because we entered the market right where the Scandinavian store was located! Yay, Scandinavia! The store had lots of "Linnea" items. We were tempted to buy some things, but ultimately decided against it.

We spent some time wandering around, checking out the different stores and markets. There is a "produce exchange" at the center of the market - lots of fresh produce and other food...almost like a little grocery store. We sampled DELICIOUS peaches... all three of us loved them. We bought some to take home with us. Yum.

Next, we got lunch to enjoy together. Jeromy decided to get a gyro from Holy Land Deli. It was HUGE and very delicious. I went with a torta from Manny's Tortas, along with a strawberry pop. Yum! Linnea even got to enjoy little samples of our food.

After a little more exploring, it was time to head home. We really had a good time, and hope to go back sooner rather than later.
On the 4th of July, Jeromy and I had the day off, so we decided it was a perfect day to head to Fort Snelling! It's pathetic that we live no more than 5 minutes away AND have a MN History Membership (meaning we get in for free) and we STILL hadn't been there in the 5 years we've been living in Minneapolis.

Unfortunately, the weather on the 4th was incredibly hot. We decided to brave the heat, but didn't last long in the sweltering sun. Poor Linnea was very red faced and sweaty. We stayed long enough to get a good look around, albeit not as long as we would have liked. Good thing the fort is so close - we can definitely make a return trip when it's a little cooler.

 Another movie was checked off the list - ET. It was funny to watch it, as I apparently was too scared to watch it as a small child. As I was watching it I did not blame little me in the slightest - the first 10 minutes or so are all dark...foggy...scary dudes running around after ET. I had to remind myself now that it's a family movie. Yup, I'm a baby! :-)

The meal for the month was a Chicken Broccoli Braid - a recipe I found online. I'm generally not a big fan of broccoli, but I'm REALLY trying to get better with that. The braid is made of crescent dough, with a chicken, veggie, and cheese mixture inside. It was pretty easy to make, and was SUPER good (in my opinion). I definitely would make this again - perhaps with a few modifications.


It was a good month. Next month promises to be a big, fun month for 30 Before 30. Coming up: mud run, water skiing, and more!!


No comments: