Thursday, September 27, 2012

Being Becky

Earlier this year I read The Happiness Project, a wonderful book that has had a way of sticking with me. In the book, author Gretchen Rubin embarks on a year long project to explore happiness. She wants to better understand the concept of happiness, and wants to learn how to be more happy herself. I thought it was fascinating.

I found that she and I have very similar ways of thinking. There were lots of little things she said, or observations she had that really resonated with me. It was one of those books where you catch yourself reading and rereading lines. Rubin had SO many little things to think about, that really changed the way I view things.

The book/her project broke down into lots of resolutions (things to do to improve yourself or your happiness) and commandments (general rules that she lives by). One commandment that struck me, and continues to make me think is "Be Gretchen." (or in my case, obviously, "Be Becky.")

What Rubin said is that you are naturally going to be happiest when you are being most YOU...being true to yourself. It's so simple...but so easy to forget. I feel like we live in a world where people want to fit in...they want to have what everyone else has and do what everyone else does. But does that really make any of us happy?

Since reading the book I've tried to be hyper aware of what it means to "Be Becky." I realize I know more about myself than I thought I did. Although some of the things I know about myself I'm not super proud of...or maybe a little embarrassed by...but I've realized that being true to myself does, in fact, make me a lot happier.

Here are a few random things that I know about "Being Becky":

1. I like alcoholic drinks, but it's hardly ever worth it to me to pay for one. If I'm out with someone who's covering the tab, or something, I'll have a drink...but if I have to pay $5 for a glass of wine or a beer, I'll just have water. If I'm going to buy a drink, I'll probably just get a pop. It's cheaper and I think it tastes better. It makes me happier to save money then to spend money on alcohol.

2. I am a rule follwer. I wait for the walk sign to cross the street. I never broke curfew... and when I wanted to/was going to, I cleared it with my mom. At least to a certain degree, I think rules are there for a reason, and it makes me happy to follow them. **Note: I suppose this would not include any ridiculous rules...but at the moment, I can't think of any**

3. I'm a homebody. Generally I am happier at home with my family or friends, then out and about in a large crowd.

So I realize the above make me sound a little (or a lot) lame, which I suppose is the struggle that Rubin is talking about. We need to let go of the desires to fit in, or please other people, or etc., and just be ourselves. Accept it. Embrace it. And we will likely be happier.

I'm still in the process of letting what I read in The Happiness Project sink in. "Being Becky" is something I work on on a daily basis. And the crazy thing is that at 29 I'm still learning things about who I am, and what I actually like and enjoy, and what ultimately makes me happy.

If you are looking for a thought-provoking, interesting book, check out The Happiness Project.

No comments: