Monday, August 1, 2011

This is it...

Holy crap. It's August. That means that, without a doubt, I am having a baby THIS MONTH.

I have been filled with emotions lately - all different ones - as Jeromy and I countdown the weeks...days...hours. Like many big life events, it's interesting to reflect back on the journey. In many ways it seems like time has flown by, and it was just yesterday that I was sneaking back into bed in the early morning hours and whispering to Jeromy, "I'm pregnant!!" On the other hand, there are days where it's hard to remember not being pregnant, and not preparing, in one way or another, for our dear Sweet Pea's arrival.

As the months have dwindled down to weeks have dwindled down to days (!!!), I have gotten a lot of the same questions, which are (complete with answers) as follows:

How are you feeling? Surprisingly, I've been feeling pretty good! I say surprisingly because I've heard tales of the difficult third trimester...the aches and pains, difficulty sleeping, etc. Also, the heat in the Cities has been obnoxious recently, which I assumed would affect me more than I'm finding it actually is (a welcomed surprise). I'm regularly up at least once a night, sometimes twice, but very rarely more than that. Getting back to sleep is a bit frustrating, but not bad, and I know not comparable to waking up with an infant in a few weeks! I'm proud of myself for having been really careful about staying healthy and active, which has helped me gain only abou 20-25 pounds. I think that's a big help with how I feel!

Are you ready? This is the harder question. In many ways, I am absolutely ready. Jeromy and I have wanted this for years, and I think are well prepared to be good parents. In other ways, I know that there is no way to really be "ready." I've heard from many that parenthood is the most difficult (but most rewarding) experience. I've heard about the sleepless nights, emotional roller coaster, sore body, etc. that will be our reality soon. It's hard to not feel anxious.. which leads me to...

Are you nervous? Yes! One of the worst parts is the anticipation of labor, delivery, the first few weeks, etc. This could easily happen "any day now" or it could realistically be another three weeks! How do you prepare for your biggest life event, when you don't even know when it will really happen or how it will go?! The answer (I guess) is that you try to prepare as much as possible in ways that you can prepare, and then be as comfortable as you can with the unknown. This is not something that comes easily to me. I'm trying my hardest to remember that my body was made to do this, and that there is an AMAZING prize at the end. It helps sometimes...but I'm still nervous.

So...nervous, anxious, excited, anticipating, happy, in disbelief, elated, frantic... that sums it up pretty well. I can't believe it is all approaching so soon...in a way, I can't wait till it's all over and she's here, but I know that at the same time I want to savor every moment...

No comments: